We've all done it. We've all spent more time pondering our fantasy team names than we have working on college essays, reading reports for work or choosing what to have for dinner.
Choosing a fantasy team name can be extremely important. In fact, it's a reflection of everything you. It'll likely be trashed by everyone in your league, simply because you're all enemies. It'll likely be more important to your league than the name you choose for your first born child.
We don't want to see you mess up your fantasy team name, which is why we've broken down the rules you need to follow. In addition to our other pieces on the team names you need to avoid, and the team names you need to consider.
Fantasy Team Names
1. Timing is Everything
- Avoid using team names that are going to get stale really quick. Like all of the team names that were created about Manti Teo's girlfriend in 2013, they were the worst before they were even posted.
2. Making Fun of NFL Players is Acceptable
- We've seen some great names that take NFL players names into account. We've also seen some pretty terrible ones. Just make sure the ones you choose make sense and aren't overplayed. Like "Forgetting Brandon Marshall". It's a classic, but it's a classic for a reason. Everyone and their mother has seen this already. Pick another one.
3. Don't Include Your Name in Your Team's Name
- The exception to the rule is if you have something clever up your sleeve. No one want's to see a team called Nick's Chiefs. That's just unexciting. It's clear you've put in no effort and probably don't care about fantasy. If you don't care about fantasy then you're going to get shitty trade offers all season. Which means you could change the power of the league very quickly.
4. Make Sure 3 Other People Will Get the Reference
- If you want to make your team name based off something you love or something weird, just make sure other people in the league understand it. There's no point to have a clever name if you're the only one who gets it. Everyone else will just look at it, be confused and bash the hell out of it.
5. Know Your Audience
- You can get as nasty and personal as you want with your fantasy team name. Just know which league you're in and what's acceptable. I wouldn't recommend getting personal with your team name in a work league or going after a fellow league members sister. I know this sounds like common sense, but it happens every year. Don't heed my advice, I don't care. Just don't be surprised when you've started a war.
Choosing a Fantasy Team Name
Choosing a fantasy team name is extremely important. It's a representation of who you are as a person. If you put in very little effort it's likely that people are thinking you put in no effort to the league.
I'm not saying you need to obsess over a team name, you just need to be smart about your decision. Fantasy football is supposed to be fun, so don't detract from that. Just follow some of our advice and you'll have some great team names. Hopefully you can draft well enough to be in contention late in the season.
If you have any recommendations to create a great fantasy team name please share them below. We'd love to build a comprehensive list to make the best fantasy team name.
Photo by ethanlindsey
For the record, I never actually played football. I have no doubt that I would get crushed running across the middle for a pass, every single time.